Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Baby Blanket



Here it is! The baby blanket is all done and ship to the little baby. It is made of soft cotton jersey, both the top and the backing and the batting is 100 % cotton. The most important principle for me was to make it as baby-friendly as it can be. It is soft, it can be washed in 60 degrees Celsius and the colors I used are high quality non-toxic textile colors (although I would not use anything else for any of my projects).

The Making of
The cotton jersey was quite challenging to work with because it stretches so much but totally worth it being so soft. I actually don’t believe I managed to make a real rectangle of it but close enough. I did not want to use interfacing since I was afraid that it would then loose some of the softness. I first printed the top fabric using a simple self made stencil.  For quilting I used two shades of embroidery thread and big stitches. The quilting part was really fun to do. The most challenging part by far was the binding. I decided to do the double fold French binding and it took me trial and error and three different sources, but I did finally got it and it was so worth it! Here are the sources I used:
 * and Anna Maria Horner's book Seams to Me

For the next time I would like to remind myself to
 * mark very clearly the stitch line
 * by some proper stenciling tools 

All in all I'm very pleased with the quilt. It has a homemade-feel to it that I think makes it very cozy. If you like more professional clean cut looking quilt I think it would be hard to make it with the techniques I used so this might not be a project for you.


A Bonus Quilt
The little baby I made the quilt for has a 2 year old sister and of course I had to make something for her as well. I made little doll quilt using fabric scraps that I buy from here. I started and finished the project the evening before I sent the package and did not have time to take daylight pictures. The colors look much better in real life. It was lot of fun to work with this very colorful mini-quilt after working with only blue and white.
I did not add any batting to it. Inspired by the binding experience with the first quilt I tried to make bias cut binding for this one and I must say I still don't like cutting them. I thought I would not have time to hand sew the binding so I tried to topstitch it. It turned out that I'm still terrible at it. So it saved me no time and looks much worse than if I just hand blind stitched the backside. I hope the doll won't mind. 







2 comments:

stitchedincolor said...

I totally share your frustration with binding! I've settled on Oh Fransson's method, which does require hand-stitching, but works. I'm planning on avoiding binding altogether on my current twin-sized quilt. This little doll quilt is cute!

Melissa Dinwiddie said...

What a beautiful baby blanket! I LOVE it! Kudos!