Friday, July 23, 2010

Prosperity Tree

prosperity tree
Finally I have something to share that is all made by me (design and all). Please meet the Prosperity Tree. This is how Wikipedia defines the word prosperity: Prosperity is the state of flourishing, thriving, success, or good fortune. [1] Prosperity often encompasses wealth but also includes others factors which are independent of wealth to varying degrees, such as happiness and health. The tree symbolizes all of these things to me.

I embroidered the tree on organic single jersey cotton using different kinds of threads that I had in hand; 6 strand stranded thread split in three, perle no. 8 (that was actually a bit too thick) and thread called multi work. All except the multi work are from House of Embroidery. I also combined one strand of blue multi work with 2 strands of orange thread from House of Embroidery.

I didn't draw any stitch line or pattern, I just started tembroider and followed my instincts. Most of it is done by back stitch. I had borrowed books from the library to have some stitch instructions at hand, but did not use them this time. 

I  just love crafting. To learn a technique and enjoy the learning and doing you can pick up a pattern and follow the instructions. Then if you wish to create something of your own  you have a set of skills to work with. I used to paint and draw and I always had this pressure on me that I should not only paint but also create some fantastic piece of art. Craft has freed me from that pressure. Speaking of drawing, I can't believe there was a time when I thought it is easier than sewing! 





3 comments:

töölöläisrouva said...

I love your posts, ihana sun blogi!
I wish I could do things like that or had the imagination for the kinds of things you do, but I guess my talent is elsewhere...

I see it's your turn to give me inspiration, I liked the tilkkutäkki metaphor about doing things one step at a time. Will try to remember that the next time I start a diet ;)

Rachel at Stitched in Color said...

Beautiful, Mari! I can see your pleasure in the stitches. The tiny little flowers are just lovely.

Aimee Cotton Bogush said...

This is just stunning!