Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Heels and Waves

DSC05965
I had such a grand knitting plans for the summer holidays. I brought with my knitting back planning to finish the second sock for my husband and after that start a new one for myself and maybe finish the whole pair. And then I got to the first heel and argh, frustration! It really should not be that difficult but either the description I'm following has a fault in it (I doubt that) or I just don't get it. I did managed to make a heel to the first sock but it did not go smoothly. I should try to find another explanation and see if it makes more sense to me.

As I tend to knit or read I managed to read quite a lot. I read Alex Munthe's The Story of San Michele and enjoyed it. I also read Dancing Backwards by Salley Vickers and it was nice but maybe a bit too light. Maybe everything feels light after reading only classics. What I was suppose to read was Waves by Virginia Woolf, but I just can not get through it. I read somewhere that you should read it like poetry. That would explain it since I have never really learned how to read poems. I guess I don't have the patience for it. Maybe one day I will get there. Tackle the heels and the waves.

Linking with yarn along

6 comments:

fjord girl said...

Love brown and blue- these socks look so cozy- I bet they will be appreciated this winter!

Anonymous said...

Turning the heel on my very first pair of socks gave me trouble, too.

I, literally, had to sit near someone at my knit night and have her walk me through it. I did get the hang of it eventually and I know you will, too.

momto5 said...

the heel turn can be a bit confusing, but it gets easier the more you make. :)
love the yarn you are using.

Reinventing Mother said...

If you are on Ravelry, try Silver's sock class. It is free and very good!

Anonymous said...

I love your project bag in the background, I'm sure it makes knitting that more fun :)

Carolina Ellis said...

I laughed with this post. You and I must be using the exact same pattern for I, too, got stuck on the heel part. I worked on this last year and NEVER got back to it. I really should pull it out and try again. I have plenty of sock patterns so I have no excuse. The weather is JUST starting to change here. All though the temperature is still high (mid 80's) there is no humidity and that makes all the difference in the world if you are knitting. I will look at my sock patterns. Keep going on yours.